Fishing is many people’s favorite way to get out of the busy city life and take some time off on the weekend. It is a very approachable hobby, which can easily entertain you for hours at a time. The best part is that you do not need to bother with super expensive gear at first. Of course, many people become more and more interested in fishing and end up purchasing all sorts of gear that they might eventually need. While some of the equipment might not be necessary, there are certain pieces of gear that are essential for every fisherman, regardless if they are planning to be on a boat or on land.
One of the key pieces of equipment is the landing net that you will use to land the fish that you hook. This might sound like a simple tool to buy, but there are several things that you should take into consideration before finalizing your purchase. Furthermore, you should determine whether you will go with multiple purchases or will you opt for the one-size-fits-all approach. The latter is a great choice for beginners, and we are here to help you make the right choice. We will go over the properties that the best foldable landing net for fishing must have, as well as help you distinguish the good products from the poor ones.
Why do you need a landing net?
There are multiple reasons why you want to bring this small piece of equipment with you. For starters, it is an ideal way to prevent fish from escaping while you are trying to reel it in. Furthermore, it can greatly enhance your experience if you are practicing catch-and-release fishing. Reeling in fish may often end up stressing them or causing unwanted damage to the fish. By using a landing net, you greatly reduce the odds of this happening.
We are well aware that a net might not be the most convenient thing to carry around, especially if you are in a bushy area. However, this is where the foldable landing nets come into play. They are much more convenient to transport, and they are very easy to operate. You will need just a few seconds to expand or contract them.
What features should you look for in a landing net?
There is not really that much to say about features when it comes to a basic piece of equipment such as landing nets. Of course, there are some major properties that you will need to take into consideration. What are the important properties to check?
- Is the handle fixed or foldable? While a fixed handle may be somewhat sturdier, it will not last that much longer compared to a foldable one. In the meantime, foldable landing nets offer great convenience. They are much easier to store and carry around. Typically, you can fold or unfold the net at the push of a single button. Once you unfold it, a secure mechanism will keep its place, minimizing the risks of incidents.
- Basket size and the size of holes. What type of fish are you going after? You need to make sure that the best foldable landing net for fishing has a decent-sized basket that will fit any fish you may encounter. Furthermore, make sure to check the size of the holes as well. Having larger holes will prevent you from catching smaller fish easily. However, keep in mind that opting to go for the smallest hole size is also a bad idea – this may cause damage to the fish tangled in it. It is up to you to find the foldable landing net that matches your requirements. We also suggest going for a rubber-coated mesh if you want to further reduce the chances of causing harm to fish.
- How is the handle? The handle is another important aspect to consider. Typically, they are made of aluminum, but it is possible to encounter some other materials such as plastic or wood. The aluminum is typically resistant to corrosion and can last you for many trips, with minimum maintenance. Aluminum handles will be strong and light weight.
What is our favorite landing net?
Now, finding the best foldable landing net for fishing can be a challenge, but we believe we have the right recommendation for you. Regardless if you are a novice or an experienced fisherman, the Stowmaster folding landing net is likely to be a great purchase for you. It features a lightweight design – just 1.3 pounds. This foldable landing net also features a double-extendible handle, which can greatly extend your reach when it comes to landing fish.
The net is made of high-quality, sturdy materials. The foldable mechanism is controlled through two mechanical buttons, which are strong and durable. The aluminum handle is hollow, enabling the Stowmaster Folding Landing Net to float in case you drop it in the water. This product was made to save space, and it is the perfect choice if you are looking for a landing net that is easy to store and transport.
Find the best price on Stowmaster nets here.
Enhance Your Live Bait Fishing With A Bait Dip Net
Grabbing the best foldable landing net for fishing is guaranteed to make your fishing trips easier. However, it might not be the most convenient tool to use when you want to get some bait out of the live well. These nets are small in size, and there are several small things to consider when purchasing them:
- Just like with the landing net, make sure to look for a floating dip net for bait.
- Check the joint connecting the handle to the basket – make sure it is reinforced. These models are likely to last you a lifetime.
- The size of the holes in the basket. In this case, going with the smaller holes is the best choice since you are unlikely to harm the bait, and this is guaranteed to prevent any bait from slipping through.